1170-1 Jethro Tull - Overseer Overture / Flight from Lucifer

1170-1 Jethro Tull - Overseer Overture / Flight from Lucifer

I've been listening to this record a lot the last couple of days and I am making a double pick of sorts today. I cannot count the amount of times I have listened to this album, it was the album that made me a full-on Jethro Tull fan; the only recorded medium which I do not have it is on cassette tape. I am still amazed every time I play it that this Rock Opera was conceived, written, arranged, and recorded in a little over two weeks.
Anyway, as anyone who knows of it, this record is a Rock Opera with subject matter somewhat similar to Dante's Inferno. While the album was a success, the band took a pummeling from the critics, which led to a rift between the band and the media that in some form still exists to this day. One of the aspects which they got hit with from the critics that I actually like is Ian's symbolic and sometimes cryptic lyrics as well as the prose he uses.
A Passion Play chronicles the death, afterlife, and rebirth of a man named Ronnie Pilgrim. These two pieces come from the third act of the Rock Opera: The business office of G. Oddie & Son (two days later). In the Overseer Overture part of the tale Ronnie Pilgrim actually volunteers to go to and spend time in Hell, then in the Flight from Lucifer he finds a way to make his way out. On the album and in these two pieces in particular John Evan's keyboard work is heavily featured. At times he is not only holding the song down and playing the melody, but takes the lead as well. This is also one of 'Tull's albums which Ian Anderson can be heard playing the saxophone.

Hear Overseer Overture on YouTube. The song starts at about the 6:00 mark.
Hear Flight from Lucifer on YouTube. The song goes until about the 4:00 mark.



My song pick a year ago today: The Beatles - Think for Yourself

My song pick two years ago today: Queen feat. David Bowie - Under Pressure

My song pick three years ago today: The Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade