1203 Jim Reeves - It's Nothin' to Me

1203 Jim Reeves - It's Nothin' to Me

For the last few months or so I've been teaching my Grandmother how to play the bass guitar. She is probably one of the biggest Jim Reeves fans in existence, I was greatly exposed to his music through her whilst I was growing up and has continued throughout my life thus far.
Anyway, this is one of Jim Reeves' songs that she had me learn so I could in turn teach it to her. I've noticed that there are quite a few mixes and versions of this song recorded by Jim Reeves out there, but the version that I'm talking about here in particular is the version off of his Tall Tales and Short Tempers album circa '61.
I have noticed quite a few of his songs are sad ones mostly are about tragedies of varying kinds. The song in particular is quite catchy and is about lust, jealousy, anger, and the tragedies therefrom; you know, that same subject matter some of the best songs in existence came out of.
My one sticking point with this song is that it feels too compacted; it's almost like they were fighting furiously to keep it under 2 and a half minutes in length. In my opinion it would have benefited greatly from even :30 of more music added on, but that's just me. I have noticed that many of the non Jazz songs from the 50's and early 60's that got radio play seemed to hover around that magical 2:30 mark as well = more airtime for advertisers!

Hear a version of It's Nothin' to Me on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Rush - Twilight Zone

My song pick two years ago today: The Firm - Radioactive

My song pick three years ago today: Ozzy Osbourne - Shot in the Dark

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn