2988 Mary Hopkin - Those Were the Days

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DaHB4S0TL._SY298_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
From: Post Card; Year: 1969; Genre: Folk Rock
The other day my dad was showing me some interesting music; this was that in particular caught my attention. Fascinatingly, this song has quite a history; it was originally composed in the early part of the 1900s by Russian composer Boris Fomin under the title "Dorogoi Dlinnoyu" (By the Long Road). Eugene Raskin later wrote English lyrics to the tune as "Those Were the Days" and apparently one Paul McCartney heard him and his wife playing it in a club and liked it. Subsequently, they had singer Mary Hopkin, who was signed to The Beatles' Apple label, cover the song and it became a pretty big hit.
Anyway, not a bad song at all; the choice of chords and their progression as well as the meter changes make this one a really neat track.

Hear Those Were the Days on YouTube.



My song pick one year ago today: Azteca - Red Onions

My song pick two years ago today: Dream Theater - The Looking Glass

My song pick three years ago today: Deep Purple - Hush

My song pick four years ago today: Paris - Big Towne, 2061

My song pick five years ago today: Band of Horses - No One's Gonna Love You

My song pick six years ago today: Alan Menken and Howard Ashman - Feed Me (Git It) (From: Little Shop of Horrors)

My song pick seven years ago today: Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Who'll Stop The Rain

My song pick eight years ago today: Triumph - Lay It On The Line


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade