1911 Irving Berlin - Alexander's Ragtime Band

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Alexander%27s_Ragtime_Band_1.jpeg/200px-Alexander%27s_Ragtime_Band_1.jpeg
Year: 1911; Genre: Pop
In the year 1911, which is also today's song pick number, Irving Berlin published Alexander's Ragtime Band, a song that would not only become one of the more popular songs in American musical history, but also launched his career as one of the most popular songwriters of all time. The song's popularity was a surprise even to it's writer; from what I've read it would gain a resurgence every time an artist recorded it; overall it stayed in the charts for an amazing five decades.
I remember a few years ago when I was doing some personal research on some of the older music I was surprised at how many immensely popular hit songs Irving Berlin wrote, most of which are still heard today; a century later.

Hear an instrumental version of the song on YouTube.

Countless versions of the song can be found here on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Queensrÿche - Della Brown

My song pick two years ago today: Van Halen - Unchained

My song pick three years ago today: Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money

My song pick four years ago today: Jackson Browne - Doctor My Eyes

My song pick five years ago today: Johann Sebastian Bach - BWV 565 - Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn