1812 Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Op.49 - 1812 Overture

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Portr%C3%A4t_des_Komponisten_Pjotr_I._Tschaikowski_%281840-1893%29.jpg/220px-Portr%C3%A4t_des_Komponisten_Pjotr_I._Tschaikowski_%281840-1893%29.jpg
Op.49; Year: Written in 1880/Debuted in 1882; Genre: classical/Romantic Period
You know, with this being my 1812th pick there is really no other song or piece of music in existence I could possibly pick. It's interesting, but I thought for sure that I had picked a few from Tchaikovsky already, but I guess that I was wrong.
While Tchaikovsky has many extremely famous pieces, 1812 Overture has to be very close to the top. Today, I suppose the 1812 Overture is mostly known for being the classical piece of music where they use cannon fire during the climax towards the end of the piece. This rather iconic and rousing piece was written for the 70th anniversary of Russia's victory over Napoleon's invading army, however in popular culture it is also been linked with the Anglo-American war of 1812.

Hear the full 1812 Overture with the cannons on YouTube.
Here is part one of a live performance by the Hallé Orchestra, conducted by Mark Elder on YouTube.
And here is the second part on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - Down, Down

My song pick two years ago today: Savatage - The Ocean

My song pick three years ago today: The Steve Miller Band - Serenade

My song pick four years ago today: Ben E. King - Spanish Harlem

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn