1809 Joseph Haydn - Symphony No.45 in F Sharp Minor - "Farewell Symphony"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Haydn_portrait_by_Thomas_Hardy_%28small%29.jpg
Symphony No. 45; Year: 1772; Genre: Classical Period/classical
When I saw today's pick number, (1809), I happened to remember that 1809 was the year that master composer of the Classical Period, Joseph Haydn died. While I've never been a big fan of his music, I still recognize his mastery of his art; there is no doubt that he was one of the greats. It's not really that I dislike his music or anything like that, but with, of course, some exceptions I've never been a big fan of music from the Classical Period; the music is just too formulaic and sterile for my tastes. Whatever the case I figured I should pick one of his pieces today, and I thought it would be absolutely perfect to pick his Farewell Symphony for the occasion.

Here is the entire piece performed by Capella Istropolitana, conducted by Barry Woodsworth:
Hear the first movement on YouTube.
Hear the second movement on YouTube.
Hear the third movement on YouTube.
Hear the fourth movement on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: "Weird Al" Yankovic - I Think I'm a Clone Now

My song pick two years ago today: Primus - Pork Chop's Little Ditty

My song pick three years ago today: Jethro Tull - For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me

My song pick four years ago today: Blue Öyster Cult - Shooting Shark

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade