2269 The Coasters- Poison Ivy

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BnfEmZC5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
From: The Coasters 20 Greatest Hits; Year: (1959); Genre: Rhythm and Blues
I've had this track in the queue for a while now, and I though I would pick it today. It's kind of funny, on the surface this is kind of an upbeat "feel good" song. However, if you dig into the metaphor-laced lyrics this one is somewhat of a "dirty" track about a superficially beautiful woman whose not only loose, but also carries a sexually transmitted disease. It's amazing to think that this was such a radio hit in the "wholesome" 1950s; of course the great performance by The Coasters probably had more to do with it being so big.

Hear Poison Ivy on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Béla Fleck & the Flecktones - Earthling Parade

My song pick two years ago today: Stuart Hamm - Kings of Sleep

My song pick three years ago today: Steeleye Span - Lovely on the Water

My song pick four years ago today: Crosby, Stills & Nash - Just a Song Before I Go

My song pick five years ago today: Robert Mitchum - Ballad of Thunder Road

My song pick six years ago today: Blue Öyster Cult - Harvest Moon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn