2257 Louis and Bebe Barron - Main Titles (Overture) from Forbidden Planet

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51biGfRphPL._SY300_.jpg
From: Forbidden Planet (Soundtrack); Year: 1956; Genre: Electronic
Today's pick number (2257) was, I believe, also the year that the groundbreaking Science Fiction film Forbidden Planet was supposed to take place.
This is a film that not only many remember, but was would also have a profound impact on most sci-fi to come out after. One of the more interesting parts of this film was that it is credited as being the first film with a totally electronic score. Inventors and composers Louis and Bebe Barron actually created the electronic devices, or instruments that made the sound. To get an idea of how big this was you have to remember, this was almost a decade before synthesizers were even invented.

Hear Forbidden Planet Main Titles (Overture) on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Rush - Anagram (for Mongo)

My song pick two years ago today: Sky - Troika

My song pick three years ago today: Mason Williams - Classical Gas

My song pick four years ago today: Alexi Murdoch - Breathe

My song pick five years ago today: Bad Company - Shooting Star

My song pick six years ago today: Ella Fitzgerald - Blue Skies


Comments

  1. Forbidden Planet was another one of those movies I first saw on that low-grade premium cable service I used to talk about a lot.

    I watched it again a few years ago. Just to remind myself that Leslie Nielsen was in fact young at one point and didn't always do goofball comedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was rare to see him in a serious role after "Airplane." He played the straight-laced goofball very well, God rest that funny man's soul.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn