5760. Cab Calloway and His Orchestra - Pickin' the Cabbage

From: Pickin' the Cabbage/Paradiddle; Year: 1940; Genre: Big Band Jazz
Thought I would get a two-for-one pick in today so to speak; Pickin' the Cabbage is one of Dizzy Gillespie's compositions, which was recorded at the time when Diz' was part of Cab Calloway's Orchestra, so getting to listen to two legendary jazz heavyweights in one song: what a treat! Sadly, Diz' did not last long after some defugalties, which came to a head during an altercation that resulted in him getting dismissed by Cab Calloway. I guess it ended up being for the best; Cab Calloway continued making great songs and many appearances throughout popular culture and Dizzy Gillespie went on to become the legend he is through countless recordings and was key in the creation of the Bebop Jazz style; it's just fun to hear him with that great orchestra.
As you would probably guess, Pickin' the Cabbage is quite an avant-garde sounding piece of big band/swing jazz with a definite flavour of the emerging bebop throughout the piece.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 4 years ago today: Ultravox - Reap the Wild Wind

My song pick 5 years ago today: The Fixx - One Thing Leads to Another

My song pick 6 years ago today: Kansas - Miracles Out Of Nowhere

My song pick 7 years ago today: Wilson Pickett - I'm a Midnight Mover

My song pick 8 years ago today: Beat Crusaders - Slip Out

My song pick 9 years ago today: Boston - The Launch/Cool the Engines

My song pick 10 years ago today: Stratovarius - Dreamspace

My song pick 11 years ago today: Queensrÿche - Promised Land

My song pick 12 years ago today: Ed Bogas & Merl Saunders - The Riot

My song pick 13 years ago today: J. S. Bach - BWV 870 - Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C major, from The Well-Tempered Clavier Book No. 2

My song pick 14 years ago today: Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell

My song pick 15 years ago today: The Spencer Davis Group - Give Me Some Lovin'
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In