6103. Eddie Lang - Prelude (Rachmaninoff Op.3 No.2)

From: Okeh – 40989; Year: 1928; Genre: Classical/Jazz
I noticed that recently I have chosen artists in the "E" category three times over the last four days either by accident of subconsciously, so I thought that I would just go ahead and pick one more "E." 
Anyway, I saw I have to date only chosen two from the late-great guitar virtuoso Eddie Lang, so here's another one. This rendition of the standard by Sergei Rachmaninoff is quite amazing to hear; only he and his guitar are present on this recording, which was a real novelty at the time as the guitar was not really treated as a lead instrument to be spotlighted. Lang and a few others were the real pioneers of making guitar music a highlight of mainstream; basically everyone from Django Reinhardt all the way down to Les Paul, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani along with the other great guitar virtuosos that dazzle and shred to this day can be traced back to Eddie Lang. He is definitely one of those amazing musicians who massively altered the direction of popular music that sadly died young; I wonder what music would be like if he had more time....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 5 years ago today: Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Shots

My song pick 6 years ago today: Pallas - New Life

My song pick 7 years ago today: Ultravox - Hymn

My song pick 8 years ago today: Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You

My song pick 9 years ago today: Leonard Nimoy - Highly Illogical

My song pick 10 years ago today: The Headhunters - If You Got It, You'll Get It

My song pick 11 years ago today: Billy Joel - Piano Man

My song pick 12 years ago today: Pallas - Heart Attack

My song pick 13 years ago today: Chet Atkins - Windy and Warm

My song pick 14 years ago today: David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World

My song pick 15 years ago today: Dire Straits - Industrial Disease

My song pick 16 years ago today: Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

5953. David Essex - Stardust

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In