1620 Pearl Jam - Light Years

1620 Pearl Jam - Light Years
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KF8BSXTYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Binaural, Year: 2000
Genre: Rock/Alternative Rock

For a while now I've been going back over the bands that I heard a lot during the late '80's into the '90's. Back then I really liked all of the new styles of music coming out and personally I viewed it as music evolving, which is always a wonderful thing. However, the one problem I had wasn't really with the music or the musicians at all, but rather the 'you're with us or against us' culture that permeated that musical scene. I remember that it seemed like one of the central ideas of the Alternative/Grunge scene was to destroy and sew salt on the ground so to speak of the previous types of music they replaced in the mainstream; I had a real difficult time fitting into that mindset. By no means am I defending the corporate Glam thing that it replaced; I totally agree that it was played out and the time to move on was long overdue. However, for me, whenever I feel like I'm being led by my nose to either like or especially hate something I always grow resistant to it.
Anyway, for about the last ten years or so I've been looking up some of the bands from back then and the material they've recorded since. I've always liked Pearl Jam; they were a band from that scene that I'd actually continued to follow more than most. Their Binaural album has become one of my favourites from their catalogue and, of course, this is one of my favs off that album.

Hear Light Years on YouTube.
Watch a live performance circa '00 on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Band of Horses - Factory

My song pick two years ago today: Rush - Freewill

My song pick three years ago today: R.E.M. - Stand

My song pick four years ago today: Queen - Killer Queen

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade