1899 Scott Joplin - Maple Leaf Rag

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513Wk0tNOmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
From: The Entertainer: The Very Best of Scott Joplin; Year: 2009, (1899); Genre: Ragtime/Pop
Here's another song where the composition date coincides with my song pick number. Around the turn of the last century the musical form/genre which is ragtime was extremely popular, and Scott Joplin is considered the greatest composer of the genre.
To easily think of ragtime, it's the music that often times played behind old black and white silent films; it was the kind of music that was popular at the time those kind of films were being produced. While many might view ragtime as antiquated and "old timey" it's very a very important genre, which led to the development of other genres, chiefly jazz.
Anyway, this is one of Scott Joplin's more famous of his compositions and has been covered and recorded more times than I dare to count.

Here is a recording of Scott Joplin playing Maple Leaf Rag on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Jethro Tull - Play In Time

My song pick two years ago today: Exile - Kiss You All Over

My song pick three years ago today: Rush - Show Don't Tell

My song pick four years ago today: The Four Tops - Bernadette

My song pick five years ago today: Devo - Some Things Never Change


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade