1948 The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Three to Get Ready

From: Time Out; Year: 1959; Genre: Cool Jazz
Yesterday I found out that legendary jazz great and bandleader Dave Brubeck passed away at the age of 91, a write up can be found here on BBC.com. While I'm not really a fan of the jazz sub-genre that is "cool jazz" I absolutely love Dave Brubeck's work in it; him and his quartet were simply amazing.
Anyway, this song, of course, comes off his landmark Time Out album, and as with all of the other material on it, it features odd time signatures. Three to Get Ready bounces back and forth between a waltz 3/4 and a straight-up 4/4. When they are playing in the 3/4 waltz time it almost sounds like classical music and goes into the syncopated jazz feel in the 4/4.

Hear Three to Get Ready on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Rammstein - Rammstein

My song pick two years ago today: The Steve Miller Band - You Send Me

My song pick three years ago today: Frijid Pink - House of the Rising Sun

My song pick four years ago today: Jaco Pastorius - Portrait of Tracy

My song pick five years ago today: Rush - Time Stand Still


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn