2392 The Guess Who - 6 A.M. or Nearer

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61kmmed-WBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
From: Canned Wheat; Year: 1969; Genre: Rock
I've been feeling like picking another song from The Guess Who for a while now, and it feels like a great day for one.
This one that I fell in love with the first time I heard it. My dad owned the record and on this album there were songs that he listened to and ones he didn't; this was one of the latter. I remember one day I decided to give the other tracks a listen; to say the least this one caught my attention immediately.
For most of the song it features a lot of Randy Bachman's great guitar work; especially the Chet Atkins influenced intro, which heavily contrasts with the song. This one is definitely a strangely constructed piece of music; I love their use of odd chords, especially the diminished ones in the verses. While it kind of drags in the verses the chorus really lifts the song and gets it moving quite nicely. Of course one of the things that tops it off perfectly is Burton Cummings' flute and Randy Bachman's guitar solos.

Hear 6 A.M. or Nearer on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: "Weird Al" Yankovic - Eat It

My song pick two years ago today: Queensrÿche - Jet City Woman

My song pick three years ago today: Frank Zappa - Mudd Club

My song pick four years ago today: U2 - I Will Follow

My song pick five years ago today: The Delgados - Keep On Breathing

My song pick six years ago today: Yoko Kanno (The Seat Belts) - Tank!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade