1568 Jethro Tull - Pibroch (Cap in Hand)

1568 Jethro Tull - Pibroch (Cap in Hand)
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f1/fb/aea581b0c8a0ebf9feb99110.L._AA300_.jpg
From: Songs From the Wood, Year: 1977
Genre: Progressive Rock/Folk Rock

For the last couple of days it would seem that the radio or some other sort of entertainment delivery system has been influencing my picks; I decided I would buck that trend today. Yeah, it's another 'Tull song, what a bit surprise there.
The Songs From the Wood record in my opinion contains some of the band's best and most difficult material musically; it is also one of the favourites among many 'Tull fans. This song takes inspiration and its name from the traditional Scots music known as Piobaireachd or the Anglicized "Pibroch," which is the music normally associated with the Great Highland Bagpipes.
Martin Barre really shines on this one; they used odd delay effects and recording techniques to make Martin Barre's blazing guitar throughout the song have a similar feel to the bagpipe playing a Pibroch. After hearing this track, and many others for that matter, it makes you wonder why Martin Barre is not counted among the guitar greats. I always get a chill up my spine when I hear this track, truly amazing.

Hear Pibroch on YouTube.
Watch an amazing live instrumental performance/guitar solo circa '82 on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Ozzy Osbourne - Civilize the Universe

My song pick two years ago today: Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

My song pick three years ago today: John Denver - The Eagle and the Hawk

My song pick four years ago today: Three Dog Night - Liar

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn