1553 John Dowland - Flow My Tears (Lachrimae Pavane)

1553 John Dowland - Flow My Tears (Lachrimae Pavane)
Year: 1596
Genre: Renaissance Period/classical

This beautiful piece of music started running through my mind this morning; it has to be one of the oldest pieces of music I've yet to add to my blog. The piece is known as an Ayre, which was written for a vocal and lute and is most likely John Dowland's most famous work.
I originally was introduced to his music through one of my favourite Science Fiction authors: Philip K. Dick. He was a huge fan of John Dowland and went as far as to write under the pseudonym Jack Dowland on some of his works. He actually borrowed the title of this piece for his novel Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, which is also one of my favourite of his books.

Here is a performance of the piece by Paul Agnew and Christopher Wilson on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Slaughter - Days Gone By

My song pick two years ago today: Johnny Rivers - Poor Side of Town

My song pick three years ago today: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - Stayed Awake All Night

My song pick four years ago today: David Essex - Rock On

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn