1870 Richard Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/RichardWagner.jpg/220px-RichardWagner.jpg
From: WWV. 86B: Die Walküre (The Valkyrie); Year: 1870; Genre: Romantic Period/Opera/classical
Just a few days ago I picked another one from Wagner and I wasn't too sure if I should pick another one of his pieces so close. However, since it so happens that my pick number today, 1870, is the year that his second opera, Der Walküre (The Valkyrie), from his epic opera cycle: Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of Nibelung) first debuted; apparently he had been working on this opera for nearly 20 years
This extremely popular piece comes from the beginning of the third act. It ended up, even back then, that "The Ride" had become more famous than the opera itself and Wagner was asked many times to perform it outside of the opera, which was something he didn't like at all. From what I understand eventually he caved to pressure and started to perform it by itself. To this day this is by far one of his most famous songs he ever wrote and will undoubtedly stay popular far into the future.





My song pick two years ago today: Karussell - Nämlich Bin Ich Glücklich

My song pick three years ago today: Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

My song pick four years ago today: The Delgados - All You Need Is Hate

My song pick five years ago today: Tesla - Signs


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)