1880 Gilbert and Sullivan - Major-General's Song

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BqZTsEn5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: The Pirates of Penzance; Year; 1879; Genre: Opera/Pop
While The Pirates of Penzance first premiered in 1879 it made its London premier in 1880, (the number of today's song pick). I figured I would go ahead and pick this extremely popular and catchy song from the comedic opera written by the duo Gilbert and Sullivan.
Like with many of the songs written by Gilbert and Sullivan, it's still quite famous in pop culture. This song in particular has been referenced countless times over the years, and not just in music; there are quite few parodies of it in existence as well.

Watch a performance of the song on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Rush - Presto

My song pick two years ago today: Nirvana - Drain You

My song pick three years ago today: Amon Amarth - The Pursuit of Vikings

My song pick four years ago today: Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Effigy

My song pick five years ago today: The Steve Miller Band - Threshold/Jet Airliner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade