1865 Richard Wagner - WWV 90 - Liebestod (from "Tristian und Isolde")

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/RichardWagner.jpg/220px-RichardWagner.jpg
From: Tristan und Isolde (WWV. 90); Year: 1865; Genre: Opera/classical/Romantic Period
Again my song pick number today, which today is 1865, happens to also be the year that Wagner's classic opera Tristan und Isolde first premiered. However, instead of just picking the entire opera I thought I would choose one of my favourite pieces from it.
This song comes at the end of the third and final act of the opera after Tristan has died and Isolde describes a vision of Tristan coming back to life, however, she ends up dieing as well. The piece's title reflects this: Liebestod or (Love Death).
This kind of an outcome in musical narrative was one of the zeitgeists of the Romantic Period of classical music. If you look at most of the music of the time for the most part either everything ended happily and sugary sweet or ended up depressingly and most everyone died.

Watch a performance of the Liebestod from Tristan and Isolde on YouTube.
Hear an orchestral performance of the piece on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Coven - Wicked Woman

My song pick two years ago today: Pink Floyd - In the Flesh?

My song pick three years ago today: Joachim Witt and Peter Heppner - Die Flut

My song pick four years ago today: Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim

My song pick five years ago today: Canned Heat - On The Road Again


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn