1872 Rush - Fountain of Lamenth

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/Rush_Caress_of_Steel.jpg
From: Caress of Steel; Year: 1975; Genre: Progressive Rock
I've been in a Rush mood most of the morning, particularly their earlier material.  
Caress of Steel is an often overlooked album in their catalogue, but I guess it's for a good reason. I mean, to me it is kind of bothersome album; while it contains some very good music, it also is the album that almost brought the band to an early end. If it wasn't for the success of their legendary followup 2112 perhaps it could've possibly been their "swan song." Whatever the case I personally view Caress of Steel as the product of three excellent and talented musicians running amuck without a real clear vision. That being said it is still a good record to listen to; I love putting it on as background music while I'm getting my work done.
Anyway, this is the longer of the two concept pieces that dominate the album, which clocks in at just under 20 minutes. If you sit down and give it a good listen there's a lot of good material to hear both musically and lyrically, just not at the level set by their other material that eclipsed it. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's still a good diversion if you want to hear something different.

Hear the full 20 minutes of Fountain of Lamenth on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Megadeth - Bad Omen

My song pick two years ago today: Jethro Tull - Beggar's Farm

My song pick three years ago today: The Beatles - Something

My song pick four years ago today: Jethro Tull - Singing All Day

My song pick five years ago today: Jethro Tull - Heavy Water

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn