1862 Chet Atkins - Battle Hymn of the Republic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/Picks_The_Best.jpg
From: Chet Atkins Picks the Best; Year: 1967; Genre: Patriotic/Traditional
One of the songs published in the year 1862, which is also my song pick number today, was the popular patriotic hymn Battle Hymn of the Republic. It is one of my favourites of its ilk; I have always loved the feeling I get when I hear this song played.
The lyrics were originally written by Julia Ward Howe, but the song's tune predates them a bit. It was originally from another song, which many may also know: John Brown's Body, however, I believe that the tune has become much more famous as The Battle Hymn of the Republic.
Anyway, out of all of the many, many versions played in existence I've found Chet Atkins' really interesting. He starts playing it the first time around in the traditional way and then each time around he changes it up and plays it in different styles complete with tempo and time changes; he eventually finishes by jazzing it up quite nicely. To say the least it's an interesting take on a traditional favourite.

Hear Chet Atkins' version of Battle Hymn of the Republic on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Bob Dylan - Maggie's Farm

My song pick two years ago today: Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Life by the Drop

My song pick three years ago today: Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Down on the Corner

My song pick four years ago today: Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight

My song pick five years ago today: Savatage - Believe


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn