1677 Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli (Quintette du Hot Club de France) - Chasing Shadows

1677 Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli (Quintette du Hot Club de France) - Chasing Shadows
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510lWdknGlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
From: Django Reinhardt & the 'Hot Club', Year: 2009, (1935)
Genre: Gypsy Jazz

Last night we rented the film Hugo, which is a period piece based on the novel The Invention of Hugo Cabret and takes place in interwar Paris circa 1931. I have to say the movie was excellent on all levels and definitely worth watching again.
One of the interesting parts of the film, and also why I'm picking a song from Django Reinhardt, Stéphane Grappelli, and company, is that they actually put Django Reinhardt in the film; he was played by Emil Lager. In a few places in the film there was a Jazz Quintet playing; I immediately recognized the guitarist as at least a representation of the guitar great and his period music, but after seeing the credits roll I was surprised that in fact Django Reinhardt was actually a character in the film.
Anyway, even though I had a few other songs in mind for today I thought it be an excellent idea to pick one of Django's songs. This is another one out of many of my favourites from the Quintet; it has a brooding, and somewhat melancholy feel to it, but beautiful as ever. I really love how both masters of their chosen instruments switch off and share the lead throughout the song.

Here is a recording circa '35 on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five

My song pick two years ago today: Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh

My song pick three years ago today: Damn Yankees - Coming of Age

My song pick four years ago today: Bread - Mother Freedom

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade