1871 Crosby, Stills & Nash - Wooden Ships

From: Crosby, Stills & Nash; Year 1969; Genre: Folk Rock
This morning I heard this song come on the radio and I thought I would go ahead and pick it.
Originally I thought this song was written by David Crosby and Steven Stills, but apparently it was also co-penned by Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane. The same year Jefferson Airplane released their own version that had a few differences from the Crosby, Stills & Nash version; from what I understand they both are considered the "Original."
On the surface of this song that musically appears rather calm and laid-back with somewhat, may I say, "happy" overtones carries a very ominous message along with it. Earlier on over the many times I'd heard this song I never really paid much attention to the lyrics; I preferred paying attention to the intricate music. However, one time I sat down and closely listened to the lyrics and was taken aback; before that I never understood what exactly the song was about. I absolutely love how they wrote the story to humanize the aftermath of an atomic war with two survivors who were on opposite sides meeting and helping each other out. I absolutely love the lyric which flushes out the utter irony of the situation: "Can you tell me please, who won?"

Hear Wooden Ships on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Supertramp - Crime of the Century

My song pick two years ago today: Rammstein - Benzin

My song pick three years ago today: Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed - Cannonball Rag

My song pick four years ago today: The Moody Blues - The Voice

My song pick five years ago today: W. A. Mozart - K.620 - The Magic Flute (Queen of the Night Aria)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn