1876 Johnny Cash - My Grandfather's Clock

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61EnU3uQfOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Songs of Our Soil; Year: 1959; Genre: Country
In 1876, which is also the number of today's songs pick, composer Henry Clay Work published the song My Grandfather's Clock. No pun intended, but I remember hearing my grandpa playing this one quite a bit throughout the years. As fate would have it recently it started running through my mind, so when I saw that it was published in the year that corresponds with today's pick number I knew I had to pick it.
Anyway, this song was inspired by an actual famous clock that was kept in an inn in the town of Piercebrodge, England, which was owned by two brothers. It was renowned for keeping perfect time, that is, until one of the brothers passed away; as the story goes after the other brother died it stopped working all together. Apparently after visiting the inn the year prior Henry Clay Work was inspired to write the song. My Grandfather's Clock has been recorded and covered many times and supposedly even inspired a Twilight Zone episode: Ninety Years Without Slumbering.
With the sheer amount of recordings and versions of the song there were a lot to choose from. Since a few days ago I chose a song from his daughter, I thought It would be fitting to pick Johnny Cash's recording of the song; it is also one of my favourites.

Hear My Grandfather's Clock on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Ralfe Band - 1500 Years

My song pick two years ago today: Jerry Reed - The Telephone

My song pick three years ago today: The Beatles - Penny Lane

My song pick four years ago today: Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Green River

My song pick five years ago today: Rush - A Passage To Bangkok


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade