2275 Elton John - Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51S7sUBs-jL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
From: Honky Château; Year: 1972; Genre: Rock
I had some of Elton John's music on my mind and thought I would pick one of his songs.
I've always loved this song; I was actually surprised that I hadn't already picked it, but apparently not. The way that John and Taupin wrote this space epic as if the Rocket Man was a long-haul trucker was a stroke of genius; essentially turning something exciting like space exploration into something akin to the daily drudgery of work that everyone can relate to.
Of course the lyrics are one-half of the equation, the masterful way Elton John mixes major and minor chords brings the sense of longing in the verse and then swells in the pre-chorus to all the way to the sky in the chorus is just as genius as the lyrics; they compliment each other perfectly.

Hear Rocket Man on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Béla Bartók - BB 52 - String Quartet No. 1 in A minor

My song pick two years ago today: Victor Wooten - Us 2

My song pick three years ago today: The Sons of the Pioneers - Cool Water

My song pick four years ago today: Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

My song pick five years ago today: Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) - Here is the News

My song pick six years ago today: Faith No More - From Out of Nowhere


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade