1987 Jethro Tull - The Waking Edge

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/7b/f3/171deb6709a0c5b5c14e3110.L._AA300_.jpg
From: Crest of a Knave; Year: 1987; Genre: Rock
I'm still choosing songs that were released the year that coincides with my song pick number. So, for my 1987th song chosen I'm picking one of my personal favourites off of 'Tull's masterpiece album Crest of a Knave. I believe this was one of the two songs that weren't on my original vinyl copy; it's a shame too, being that it's one of the better ones on the disc.
Anyway, the other day I was listening to a lot of Dire Straits' music and even picked one of their songs. Many have claimed that much of this album sounds a lot like Dire Straits' material from their Love Over Gold/Brothers In Arms era; in my opinion it does as well with this being the song that sounds the most like one of their songs.
I'm not too sure why on this album Ian Anderson moved their sound towards that of Dire Straits, but it seemed to work in their favour both musically and critically. I believe that most of the reason was due to Ian's vocal problems throughout the mid '80s that forced them to record all of the material in a more favourable lower key; even to this day his voice has never been the same. Another, more central reason to the sound shift in my opinion was the reemergence of Martin Barre's guitar as the central lead instrument and, of course the entire band coming back out of their "synth" era.
Whatever the case, if you are either a 'Tull fan or a fan of Dire Straits this song should be good to the ears.

Hear The Waking Edge on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: The Scorpions - The Good Die Young

My song pick two years ago today: Megadeth - Elysian Fields

My song pick three years ago today: Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli (Quintette du Hot Club de France) feat. Freddy Taylor - Nagasaki

My song pick four years ago today: Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches

My song pick five years ago today: The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade