1995 The Beatles - Free as a Bird

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51i6sO3fYwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Anthology 1; Year: 1995; Genre: Pop/Rock
For those unaware, I am in the midst of picking songs whose release date coincides with my song pick number; of course today's pick number is 1995.
This was amongst and probably the most notable among two of John Lennon's unreleased recordings that were reworked by the remaining members of the band and released on their Anthology discs.
Ever since their release I had mixed feelings about these songs; while they were okay tracks, to me it stunk a bit of weaseling another miserable buck out of rabid fans who would probably pay top-dollar for recordings of something like Lennon burping into a microphone. At the time this was only exacerbated in my mind by them releasing the other track separately on Anthology 2, so, to get the other song you had to buy another complete album. However, since those effected, with the obvious exception of John Lennon, had no problem with it in the end I guess it really doesn't matter that much.
Anyway, with that being said, looking at this song as merely another Beatles track all in all it's okay, but definitely not even close to the caliber of the majority of their work. If it would've been released back when the band was together in my opinion it would barely be a footnote, if that. However, be as it was released 25 years after the band's demise it became one of their somewhat better known songs.
In retrospect I guess I can now see these songs in somewhat of a better light; I mean to many, including myself, it was one last time of hearing the four members of one of the greatest bands of the last century together one last time. 

Watch the music video clip on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) - Julie Don't Live Here

My song pick two years ago today: Fire Bomber (Humming Bird) - My Soul For You

My song pick three years ago today: Hawkwind - D-Rider

My song pick four years ago today: Duran Duran - Rio

My song pick five years ago today: Rare Earth - (I Know) I'm Losing You


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn