2000 Porcupine Tree - Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xMwdFI%2BuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Lightbulb Sun; Year: 2000; Genre: Progressive Rock
Well, here I am, at my 2000th song pick.... Back in September of 2007, when I started this little blog originally on MySpace, I honestly didn't know if I would take it this far. Heck, I didn't even know if I'd make it to 1000, but here I am. I guess it's now on to 3000!
Anyway, as I've been doing lately, since my song pick numbers have matched dates in music, I've been picking songs released the year that coincides with my pick number. I didn't know if I was going to pick one like this today, being that this is such a milestone and all, but I really didn't have a more fitting one in mind, so I figured I would just go along with my loose theme as of late.
When I discovered Porcupine Tree released an album in 2000 I knew I had to pick one off of it; you can't go wrong with the epicness of progressive rock, especially on the day I pick my 2000th song! However, with the ominous title you might expect something heavier, but this is a rather light track actually, but still with all of the neat things that progressive rock has to offer. Interestingly enough this song contains samples from a speech by Marshall Applewhite, who was the leader of the suicide cult Heaven's Gate; "Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled" was actually spoken by the cult leader.

Hear Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Miles Davis - Pharaoh's Dance

My song pick two years ago today: Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone

My song pick three years ago today: John Lennon - How Do You Sleep?

My song pick four years ago today: The Who - Getting in Tune

My song pick five years ago today: Jethro Tull - Beastie


Comments

  1. A light track? Musically maybe, but quite heavy lyrics. Great song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was referring to the song's music; I love how it contrasts with the heavier lyrics. Max introduced me to this group and I have to say Steve Wilson and Porcupine Tree are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)