2213 Clifford Brown and Max Roach - Stompin' at the Savoy

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rbvB1BIIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
From: Brown and Roach Incorporated; Year: 1954; Genre: Jazz
For a while now I haven't been picking any old-school jazz, so I thought I would.
It still amazes me every time I listen to Clifford Brown; a great musician who only recorded four years before his tragic death at the age of 25, and in those four years elevated himself to that of a jazz great. Heck, how many can say they have written songs that went on to become full-blown jazz standards before the age of 25? I cannot even fathom where he would've been if hadn't gotten into that car accident.
Anyway, this is the amazing duo of Clifford Brown and Max Roach and their band of renown's bop era take on the classic jazz standard Stompin' at the Savoy. I love how they mixed a few forms of jazz throughout their cover: you can hear bebop, hard bop, west coast (cool jazz), along with the swing of the original just to name a few.

Hear Stompin' at the Savoy on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Franz Liszt - S.244/2 - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

My song pick two years ago today: Modest Petrovitch Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition

My song pick three years ago today: Unheilig - Schutzengel

My song pick four year ago today: Jaco Pastorius - Chromatic Fantasy

My song pick five years ago today: The Polyphonic Spree - Light and Day/Reach for the Sun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn