2201 Bass Extremes - Portrait of Tracy

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P0V51TNQL.jpg
From: Just Add Water; Year: 2001; Genre: Jazz Fusion/Funk
I'm still in the mood for some odd music; this one is Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey's cover of Jaco Pastorius' Portrait of Tracy.
I love how they make the song so much more musical and "funkilated" than the original while still keeping the original's framework. In actuality their version is quite listenable probably even to those who don't normaly like music on this scale of virtuosity.

Hear Portrait of Tracy on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: ZZ Top - La Grange

My song pick two years ago today: Rammstein - Seemann

My song pick three years ago today: Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze of Glory

My song pick four years ago today: The Who - The Seeker

My song pick five years ago today: The Beatles - Mr. Moonlight


Comments

  1. You should check out Victor's Live at Bass Day '98 DVD if you haven't. In addition to all the performance footage, he goes into detail about how he stayed up all night learning Portrait of Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good show; it's been a while since I've seen that one though; I might just do that again.

      Delete
    2. Watching it again right now. This guy is just otherworldly.

      Such a great Q & A too. His whole deal about music being a language just seems to make so much sense.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade