5719. Big Maybelle - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

From: Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (single); Year: 1955; Genre: R&B/Blues
I completely forgot that this amazing gem was in my library of songs, but it just happened to come on yesterday whilst on my way home; it made the trip infinitely more enjoyable.
Some might not know this, but Big Maybelle's recording, (which was also produced by Quincy Jones), was the first for this track even though most probably associate it with Jerry Lee Lewis, which was a bigger hit I do believe. Whatever the case, all I can say is that, in my opinion, this one is now the definitive version for me personally. That amazing, vocal leaves you speechless with your proverbial jaw on the floor so to speak; she's just that amazing. From wot I understand that's where she got the moniker "Big," a reference to the power of her larger than life voice; what a set of pipes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 4 years ago today: Sam Cooke - Wonderful World

My song pick 5 years ago today: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - For The Weekend

My song pick 6 years ago today: Jethro Tull - Lights Out

My song pick 7 years ago today: Larry Graham & Graham Central Station - Throw-N-Down the Funk

My song pick 8 years ago today: Foreigner - At War With the World

My song pick 9 years ago today: King Crimson - Pictures of a City (including "42nd at Treadmill")

My song pick 10 years ago today: Neil Young - Four Strong Winds

My song pick 11 years ago today: Jethro Tull - Jump Start

My song pick 12 years ago today: Chet Atkins - Trambone

My song pick 13 years ago today: John Denver - Wildflowers in a Mason Jar

My song pick 14 years ago today: Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath

My song pick 15 years ago today: Rammstein - Spieluhr
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In