1549 Savatage - Memory

1549 Savatage - Memory
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/11/9b/6671124128a01ef35a7c6010.L._AA300_.jpg
From: Dead Winter Dead, Year: 1995
Genre: Progressive Metal/Symphonic Metal

Well, today is Armistice Day or Veteran's Day, depending on which country you live in. Also because of the date being 11-11-11, some people have dubbed it 'Metal Day' as well; I guess they are playing off of that tired, old cliché of a joke from the Spinal Tap movie.
Anyway, I thought this track would be excellent for my pick today. The song is the main theme from the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony in D-Minor (Op. 125). I love how dynamic they made this abbreviated arrangement of the classic piece of music. It starts out with a clean electric guitar playing the melody and then the tempo picks up and effects and distortion are added.

Here is a video with a guy playing guitar to the studio version on YouTube.
I really wish that there was an actual studio version available, but c'est la vie.



My song pick a year ago today: Billy Joel - Goodnight Saigon

My song pick two years ago today: S Sgt Barry Sadler - Ballad of the Green Berets

My song pick three years ago today: Pink Floyd - On the Turning Away

My song pick four years ago today: ABBA - Soldiers

+

Comments

  1. I'm going to take a picture of my desk clock today at 11:11:11.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn