2366 Steeleye Span - The Black Freighter

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Pscc8KdYL.jpg
From: Storm Force Ten; Year: 1977; Genre: Progressive Rock/Folk Rock
This is an interesting song; it comes from the Kurt Weill 1928 adaptation of 18th Century Ballad Opera The Beggar's Opera called The Threepenny Opera piece: SeeräuberJenny or Pirate Jenny.
The piece is about a barmaid's twisted fantasy of having a legendary pirate ship destroy the town and, at her request, having all the people of the town slaughtered. Her musings would end with her going out to sea with them.
Because of the genesis of the song coming from an opera it has a notable theatrical feel to it both musically and with the vocal delivery. One of my favourite aspects of the song is the bass guitar and accordion in the verses; they really bring the whole "sea chanty" feel.
I'm just waiting to hear an Alestorm version of this one; it's right up their alley.

Hear The Black Freighter on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

My song pick two years ago today: Queensrÿche - Eyes of a Stranger

My song pick three years ago today: Bad Company - Holy Water

My song pick four years ago today: Azteca - Some Day We'll Get By

My song pick five years ago today: Elmer Bernstein - The Magnificent Seven (Theme)

My song pick six years ago today: Rush - Jacob's Ladder


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade