1368 Billy Thorpe - East of Eden's Gate

1368 Billy Thorpe - East of Eden's Gate
From: East of Eden's Gate, Year: 1982

First off, before I make my pick I would like to thank the Blogger team for restoring my post from a few of days ago that was lost during site maintenance. Also, Max has joined my current theme and is picking some songs from bands that haven't made his list since early days of his song-a-day blog.
Anyway, on to today's pick!
This is day three of my "...And about 1300 day later." theme week, i.e. picking songs from bands that haven't graced my blog since the first 100 song picks. The last song I picked from Billy Thorpe was his epic Space Rock track "Children of the Sun" as my 58th overall pick back on the 28th of October, 2007. While many can only name that track when asked to name one of his songs, he actually had quite a few singles over the years, mostly with his band: Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs. This is another one of my favourite songs from his discography; it has a Hard Rock-meets-Sci-Fi Synth sound to it and has vocals that have a definite Robert Plant influence/feel.
Another neat aspect of Billy Thorpe's musical career is that he composed scores for a few television programmes including episodes of Star Trek: the Next Generation. I remember back in the late '80s there was another television show in particular that he did the score for: Hard Time on Planet Earth. Most would not even remember this short-lived Sci-Fi show that was the recipient of critical hammering. I absolutely loved it and was livid when it was unceremoniously canceled, if memory serves me right, after about ten episodes. I'm so having to look the show up again and see how it has fared over the years; probably will be very "cheesy" as most old Sci-Fi becomes 20 years on.

Hear the studio version on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: The Delegates - Convention '72

My song pick two years ago today: Ozzy Osbourne - Goodbye to Romance

My song pick three years ago today: Slade - Run Runaway

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade