1541 Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400

1541 Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WdmF0ALuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
From: Leichenschmaus, Year: 1999
Genre: Techno

When I saw the number of today's pick, (1541), something in the back of my mind was telling me that there was something significant about it. It didn't take me very long to remember what it was: the model of the disk drive I used to use with my old Commodore 64. While I have countless fond memories tied to that computer, I will say that I loathed that slow, error ridden piece of junk that would take over 5 minutes to load a game that was probably smaller in file size than this blog post, that is, if it would load it at all. I later upgraded to the newer models, (The 128 computer and 1571 disk drive), which were far better in my opinion. It's weird when people today complain if something takes more than 20 seconds to load, hell, I used to do my chores while games booted up. Although it was quite frustrating coming back only to see the 1541's red light flashing along with an error message.
Anyway, this is a song a day blog and I should get to why I'm picking this song, right? The German Techno act Zombie Nation used the melody from one of the sections of the video game Lazy Jones for this song. This was a game I played a lot back in the day on my Commodore; the game and music were written by David Whittaker. Lazy Jones was basically a bunch of little games within another; it had a main melody playing in the background, which would change to another one when you entered a video game room. The melody used in this song was taken from the background of the "Stardust" mini game.
Even if you don't know this song by its title or from the video game, if you watch sports at all you'll often hear it being played over the loudspeaker during play stoppages or intermissions, especially with hockey or American football.

Here is the music video on YouTube.
Hear Stardust from Lazy Jones on YouTube.
Hear the full Lazy Jones soundtrack on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - Ko-Ko

My song pick two years ago today: Rush - Bastille Day

My song pick three years ago today: The Steve Miller Band - Brave New World

My song pick four years ago today: C.W. McCall - Convoy

+

Comments

  1. Your games loaded in FIVE minutes? Get off my lawn.

    Signed,
    A former TRS-80 user

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's weird, but load times really didn't seem as long back then as they would today if I hooked up the Commodore.
    I've actually seen video game reviews recently where a critic scored a game down just because had load times greater than :20! I guess it kind of shows the age the critic grew up in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade