1769 Rush - The Garden

From: Clockwork Angels; Year: 2012; Genre: Progressive Rock
Well, my wait is finally over:  the new Rush album Clockwork Angels was released and I was able to finally give it a listen. While it's a "concept album" it is very different from what the band has done in the past on albums of this sort. Each song is very much playable unto itself without its siblings both musically and lyrically, but still is a part of the greater story told throughout the album. On past conceptual albums they would usually make multi-section concept pieces that were based thematically both musically as well as lyrically that truly didn't do that well outside of the greater piece.
In my opinion I can't at this point say its among their best or even better than their last one: Snakes and Arrows, but I will say that it's growing on me with each listen. Whatever the case, it's been good time to be a progressive rock/metal fan with all of the concept albums being released in recent years by various bands. I guess it must no longer the "in" thing to bash bands that can actually show their musical mastery anymore; hell even most of the critics like these concept albums as of late, including this one.
Anyway, in the few times I've listened to this album this song, which closes it out, has stood out to me with how it contrasts with the rest of the album. It's a very beautiful, calm, and deep song both lyrically and musically and serves quite well for a "cool down" after listening to Clockwork Angels in its entirety.

Hear The Garden on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Jethro Tull - Wicked Windows

My song pick two years ago today: Blue Öyster Cult - Take Me Away

My song pick three years ago today: Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

My song pick four years ago today: Fastball - The Way

+

Comments

  1. I just picked this one up as well, but as much as I dig "Headlong Flight", the rest of it's been pretty meh so far.

    Not giving up, though. I'll keep trying to break it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in all I have to agree with you on the 'meh', but in comparison to their more recent releases in my opinion it's definitely better than "Test for Echo" and "Vapour Trails." But for me personally I put it about on par with "Snakes & Arrows," which is an album that I like quite a bit.
      Funny enough, last night I was allocating songs from "Clockwork Angels" to my iPod's playlist and noticed that there are five songs that I like enough to casually listen to: "Caravan," "BU2B," "Headlong Flight," "Wish Them Well," and "The Garden." If I compare that to their recent material, "Snakes & Arrows," I believe, has six, "Vapour Trails" has three, and "Test for Echo" has zero.
      I think that one of things that caused me to not be much into this album is that three of the five songs that I like from it were already released, two of them long before the album was. Although I will say that I like the album version of "BU2B" a lot more than the single release.
      I too am going to have to give it some more time, but if I really think about it, to have five good songs on an album is usually a positive thing. I mean, I wish they could release another album as good as "Permanent Waves," "2112," "Moving Pictures," or "Signals;" it's a good album but nowhere close to that caliber. It's not a horrible album either, just somewhere in the middle.
      Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn