1768 Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness and Charm

From: Quark, Strangeness and Charm; Year: 1977; Genre: Progressive Rock/Space Rock
For some reason for most of the morning I've had this song stuck in my mind; I like it, so I'm taking it as a sign that I should pick it. This, the title track from their '77 release, has to be among the most nerdy songs in existence.
The song's title is a play on words that refer to the subatomic particle known as a quark. Strangeness, and charm are terms used in particle physics to denote how many of certain kinds of quarks are present in a given particle. They use a lot of cute wordplay in the lyrics that are mostly about scientists' and physicists' love lives or lack thereof.
As for the music, this song is kind of rolled back and more basic than the normal stuff from the band; it is almost has a punk flare to it. As with most of their songs from this period, Robert Calvert's vocals are one of my favourite aspects; his delivery of the lyrics was perfect.

Hear Quark, Strangeness and Charm on YouTube.
Here is a classic television performance from the Marc Bolan show on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Steve Vai - Call it Sleep

My song pick two years ago today: John Denver - Calypso

My song pick three years ago today: What Made Milwaukee Famous - Idecide

My song pick four years ago today: Soft Cell - Tainted Love

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade