1765 Fleetwood Mac (Bob Welch) - Sentimental Lady

From: Bare Trees; Year: 1972; Genre: Rock
Yesterday I heard on the radio that, sadly, Bob Welch died from an apparent suicide; from what I have heard he was suffering from some health issues. I've always been a fan of Bob Welch and his music, even before I knew it was him that performed the songs I heard. Just like me, many others might not know about him, but have heard his music as well.
He is mostly known for his stint with Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green left and just before Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined. While he didn't see as much success with Fleetwood Mac as they did or get the accolades, he was every bit as good. I, personally remember hearing most of his music from either his "supergroup" Paris or from his subsequent solo career in particular. His solo career was doing well at the time I was young and listened to the radio a lot, thus I ended up hearing his music a lot.
While I'm not a big fan of this song in particular, I thought it would be rather fitting to pick what is probably his biggest hit today. It was originally recorded with Fleetwood Mac on their Bare Trees album and then re-recorded for Bob Welch's French Kiss solo album. I believe that his solo version is the more popular of the two, but personally I prefer the earlier version from the Fleetwood Mac album. Interestingly enough, Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, and Christine McVie all played on the second version of the song from the solo album.
While it's quite sad when a performer we like dies, to me it's all the more sad when one takes him/herself away like in this case. I've seen quite a few times where people come off as sanctimonious jerks sitting on top of "mount pious" throwing down their "holier than thou" edicts in situations like this. However, I cannot and will not judge him for what he did; no other person but him knew what was going on that could cause him to take his own life, besides that it's not my place to judge. That being said, the world lost yet another great musician yesterday and I'll certainly be praying for him and those who have been hurt by his passing.

Hear the Fleetwood Mac version on YouTube.
Hear Bob Welch's solo version on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Hawkwind - Fall of Earth City

My song pick two years ago today: The Moody Blues - I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)

My song pick three years ago today: Queen - One Vision

My song pick four years ago today: Megadeth - Captive Honour

+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade