1864 Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cMRZhraLL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
From: One Hundred Hits of Bing Crosby; Year: 2011 (~1940); Genre: Pop
For the last little bit when my song pick number happens to be the same as the year that a song was written or published I kept meaning to pick one from the pen of songwriter extraordinaire Stephen Foster. There is most likely a good chance that you haven't heard his name, but I can all but guarantee that you've heard more than a few of his compositions. He happened to pass away in the year 1864 and this song was one of many that was published posthumously. It's amazing to look at the songs he authored; many of which are known quite well today. However, even with the sheer amount of notable songs to his name when he passed away he was more or less destitute.
Anyway, this is one of my favourites that he wrote and there are many versions of the song out there to pick from. In the end I decided on this one from the incomparable Bing Crosby, which is one of the best in my opinion.

Hear Beautiful Dreamer on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Black 47 - Bankers and Gangsters

My song pick two years ago today: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - House of the Rising Sun

My song pick three years ago today: The Moody Blues - The Story in Your Eyes

My song pick four years ago today: Cheech & Chong feat. Alice Bowie - Earache My Eye

My song pick five years ago today: Weather Report - Birdland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade