5621. Rick James - Mr. Policeman

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61hUiQOZ30L.jpg
From: Street Songs; Year: 1981; Genre: Soul/Funk
Haven't picked one from the late-great Rick James in a while, so I thought I would once more on this Friday. Probably the first thing that really grabs my attentions every time I hear this track is that bouncing beat/rhythm that urges to get up and dance, but immediately there is something else peculiar that draws attention: the odd meter. To me it sounds like a 5/4 followed by a 2/4, but could be something else 7 beat measure for sure. That aside, the heavy sociopolitical lyrics, which are sung amazingly along with the horn section really makes this one really, really stand out even amongst it's "hit" brethren from the record.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 4 years ago today: Vince Guaraldi Trio - Alma-Ville

My song pick 5 years ago today: INXS - New Sensation

My song pick 6 years ago today: Amii Stewart - Knock on Wood

My song pick 7 years ago today: Link Wray - Comanche

My song pick 8 years ago today: Foo Fighters - Everlong

My song pick 9 years ago today: Rush - The Analog Kid

My song pick 10 years ago today: The Alan Parsons Project - The Tell-Tale Heart

My song pick 11 years ago today: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Ethiopia

My song pick 12 years ago today: Bass Extremes - Glorious Pastorius

My song pick 13 years ago today: Alexander Courage - Where No Man Has Gone Before (Theme From Star Trek)

My song pick 14 years ago today: The Temptations - Get Ready

My song pick 15 years ago today: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - Not Fragile
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

5953. David Essex - Stardust

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In