6144. Lead Belly - Midnight Special

From: The Midnight Special and other Southern Prison Songs; Year: 1940; Genre: Blues/Folk
Most probably are aware of this song from a plethora of recording artists over the last 70 or so years, but the version by Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter was among the first to popularize the song to a wide audience. The origins of the song are nebulous at best being that it was passed down from musician to musician with lyrics differing from one to the next for many years prior to Lead Belly recording his famous version; to say the least Midnight Special most likely originated in the 19th century in the southern U.S.. You just get the feeling of yearning and hope from this one from the perspective of a man incarcerated awaiting parole with the steam engine's headlamp lighting the cell giving comfort.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 5 years ago today: Uriah Heep - Fallen Angel

My song pick 6 years ago today: Depeche Mode - Strangelove

My song pick 7 years ago today: Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

My song pick 8 years ago today: Aerosmith - What it Takes

My song pick 9 years ago today: Queen - Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy

My song pick 10 years ago today: Rush - The Trees

My song pick 11 years ago today: Jethro Tull - Orion

My song pick 12 years ago today: Genesis - The Return of the Giant Hogweed

My song pick 13 years ago today: Rush - The Seeker

My song pick 14 years ago today: Queen - The Show Must Go On

My song pick 15 years ago today: Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55 

My song pick 16 years ago today: Blind Mellon - No Rain
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In