6166. Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes

From: Mistaken Identity; Year: 1981; Genre: New Wave/Rock
This song came on my playlist today whilst driving; I enjoyed it thoroughly to the point I had to start it over after listening to it once. Kim Carnes' Bette Davis Eyes is one of those song that would be a mere shadow of itself if you added or took something away. Some are most likely not aware that this was a cover originally written by Donna Weiss and Jackie DeShannon and recorded by the latter back in 1974, but it didn't gain much traction.
I have to say, the completely radical approach to the song, which really does not share much in the way of arrangement or structure to the original, was a stroke of genius. It's very cool to know that Hollywood legend Bette Davis was elated by the mega hit song making her relevant to a new generation and apparently making her "cool" to her grandson. Definitely this is one of those songs that is as immortal as the person it was written about.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 5 years ago today: The Kinks - Good Day

My song pick 6 years ago today: Elton John - Bennie and the Jets

My song pick 7 years ago today: Stuart Hamm - Radio Free Albemuth

My song pick 8 years ago today: Central Line - Walking Into Sunshine

My song pick 9 years ago today: Zakk Wylde - Way Beyond Empty

My song pick 10 years ago today: XTC - Travels in Nihilon

My song pick 11 years ago today: The Kinks - Long Tall Sally

My song pick 12 years ago today: The Beatles - And I Love Her

My song pick 13 years ago today: Al Di Meola - Alien Chase on Arabian Desert

My song pick 14 years ago today: Alice Cooper - Go To Hell

My song pick 15 years ago today: Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

My song pick 16 years ago today: The Doors - Riders On The Storm
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In