2072 Jethro Tull - Orion

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F-Ez54lWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
From: Stormwatch; Year: 1979; Genre: Progressive Rock
As I was doing a little bit of websurfing the other day I happened to notice that Wikipedia had an article about the star constellation Canis Minor being featured; it immediately brought this song to mind and it's been running through my mind ever since. For those unaware of the mythology both Canis Major and Canis Minor are often depicted as Orion's hunting dogs who follow their master through the night sky. The star Alpha Canis Majoris (Sirius), which is also known as "The Dog Star" and is also the brightest star as seen from Earth, is mentioned in this song as well: "Your faithful dog shines brighter than its lord and master."
Anyway, this is one of my favrouite tracks on the album, and is also one of the few songs that featured John Glascock on bass before his untimely death. In Ian's trilogy of albums I often think of this track as literally the calm before the storm as it's rolling in on the horizon. It is kind of about people looking up to the heavens for help as certain doom hangs all around.

Hear Orion on YouTube.
Watch part of a rare live performance of Orion on YouTube. Circa April of '80, which would make it just prior to the big breakup.



My song pick a year ago today: Genesis - The Return of the Giant Hogweed

My song pick two years ago today: Rush - The Seeker

My song pick three years ago today: Queen - The Show Must Go On

My song pick four years ago today: Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55 

My song pick five years ago today: Blind Mellon - No Rain


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade