2081 Rush - Big Money

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Rush_Power_Windows.jpg
From: Power Windows; Year: 1985; Genre: Hard Rock
I believe that it is tonight that Rush gets inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; even if I'm wrong I really don't need a reason to pick a song from one of my favourite bands.
While I am happy for Rush to finally get the mainstream praise, for me I could almost care less, well, other than being able to see them perform live on television. Personally, I've never thought much of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I view these recent inductions with skepticism. Mayhap they have turned over a new leaf with their recognition of these great, deserving acts. We'll have to see if they continue with this trend or if they go back to their old ways.
Anyway, Big Money is a staple of the mid-80's synth-driven Rush sound and was one of their main hit singles off of their '85 Power Windows album. While I've never been a huge fan of this album, I still like it. All three of the guys are excellent, plus this is the album where, I believe, Geddy Lee debuted his Wal bass guitar. I have to say I love the sound of that guitar; it is second only to his Rickenbacker as my favourite that he played.

Watch the video clip to Big Money on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: Jethro Tull - Lifebeats/Prelude/The Silver Cord/Re-Assuring Tune

My song pick two years ago today: The Doors - When the Music's Over

My song pick three years ago today: Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Tank

My song pick four years ago today: Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Karn Evil 9

My song pick five years ago today: Kenny Rogers & the First Edition - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)


Comments

  1. Interesting how you would tie this song to Rush's "mainstream success", I remember it getting pretty heavy MTV rotation when it first came out. And I'll admit, seeing Rush on MTV regularly thrilled me to no end.

    But man, they kinda look like dorks in that video. Not that I care much, but posing really isn't their thing at all.

    I find Power Windows to be hit and miss, but the hits are really strong. I think "Marathon" and "Mystic Rhythms" are two of the best songs in their entire catalog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn