5682. Jim Reeves - Distant Drums

From: Distant Drums; Year: 1966; Genre: Pop/Country
If my Grandmother were still with us she would now have just celebrated, I believe, her 88th birthday. She passed away three years ago in May, every since around her birthday I think about her a lot. As I have probably said at some point prior, Jim Reeves was her favourite musical artist, and I just felt like going over one of his songs.
Anyway, when I heard his rendition of Distant Drums, which is a song I am definitely familiar with, I knew it was today's choice. Roy Orbison actually recorded the first version of the song, but Jim Reeves' is the one that hit it big. From wot I understand, he recorded a private version of it for Cindy Walker, who was the author of the song, shortly after Roy Orbison's. However, Jim Reeves and others apparently did not want the song released and it stayed a private recording until after his tragic death it was "dusted off" with overdubs added, was released and became one of his bigger hits, albeit posthumously.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 4 years ago today: The Marshall Tucker Band - Can't You See

My song pick 5 years ago today: NOFX - Bath of Least Resistance

My song pick 6 years ago today: Rush - Seven Cities of Gold

My song pick 7 years ago today: Carmen - Viva mi Sevilla

My song pick 8 years ago today: Benny Goodman - Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)

My song pick 9 years ago today: The Allman Brothers Band - Dreams

My song pick 10 years ago today: Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love

My song pick 11 years ago today: Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Superstition

My song pick 12 years ago today: Journey - To Play Some Music

My song pick 13 years ago today: Apocalyptica featuring Till Lindemann - Helden

My song pick 14 years ago today: James Gang - Funk 49

My song pick 15 years ago today: Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mine
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In