2033 Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses

From: Heavy Horses; Year: 1978; Genre: Progressive Rock
I was thinking about picking some Jethro Tull today; at one point this 9 minute long centerpiece of the album's namesake was my favourite of their songs. It's not that I like it any less, I actually have trouble assigning labels to which are my favourite songs anymore; there are just too many that I like.
It's interesting, but with this being, I believe, my 78th song I've picked from Jethro Tull I still have yet to pick the vast majority of Ian and the band's material.
Anyway, as I stated earlier this song and album are among my favourites from Jethro Tull. When I first bought this album I played it constantly and even to this day love almost every second of it. While some people might roll their eyes at a song about husbandry and large work horses, if those people would sit down and give it a listen, it is an amazing track. For the most part the song is a metaphor for Ian's overall concept of mans' changing relationship with the Earth and nature, if you will. I love how he describes these titanic beasts of burden being chained to the Earth literally moving the land only to one day become displaced by machinery. My favourite part of the song comes about halfway through when the song becomes more upbeat, heralding the return of the heavy horses to once again to do the work when "the oil baron's drip dry." I love how Barrie Barlow uses the double kick drum during this section; Good Lord was he an amazing drummer!
Anyhow, there you go, yet another big, bombastic prog rock song added to my blog.

Hear Heavy Horses on YouTube.



My song pick a year ago today: The Monkees - Daydream Believer

My song pick two years ago today: Muse - Resistance

My song pick three years ago today: Jethro Tull - From A Deadbeat To An Old Greaser

My song pick four years ago today: Fleetwood Mac - Oh Well

My song pick five years ago today: Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade