5377. Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers - I Promise To Remember

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71pmF-R9SxL._SX522_.jpg
From: The Teenagers Featuring Frankie Lymon; Year: 1956; Genre: Doo-Wop/Rock 'n Roll/R&B
Last night I was doing a little research on this band an those associated with it and ran into this single off of their only LP record release. The interesting part about I Promise To Remember is that well-known funkmaster Jimmy Castor co-wrote the song and had recorded it with his band Jimmy and the Junior, which can be heard here on YouTube, but the record company for some reason did not like it and passed on it and instead had The Teenagers record a cover of it, which became their third hit single. Jimmy Castor would later re-record it in a funky version with his famous Jimmy Castor Bunch, which can also be found on YouTube. Interestingly enough Jimmy Castor would take over on lead vocals for The Teenagers from the latter 1980s to the 1990s, so it kind of went full-circle.
Anyway, Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers are probably best-known for their mega-hit Why Do Fools Fall In Love, which featured, as with this song, a 14 year old Frankie Lymon, who apparently had a short and turbulent career and life due to substance abuse. The band would score a few other hits both at home and abroad and is still going strong today. As with much of the music coming out of the fledgling rock 'n roll scene at the time, this one experimented with other musical idea to mix with it. It has a distinct fusion of doo-wop, R&B, and even some jazz with the then brand new musical genre; quite a fun sound indeed from what was essentially what would later be called, I suppose, a "boy band."
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 3 years ago today: Jimmy Castor - Amazon

My song pick 4 years ago today: April Wine - Enough is Enough

My song pick 5 years ago today: Faith No More - Falling to Pieces

My song pick 6 years ago today: The Presidents of the United States of America - Peaches

My song pick 7 years ago today: The Rolling Stones - Midnight Rambler

My song pick 8 years ago today: The Five Stairsteps - O-o-o Child

My song pick 9 years ago today: The Delgados - Mr. Blue Sky

My song pick 10 years ago today: Muse - Citizen Erased

My song pick 11 years ago today: The Darkness - Is It Just Me

My song pick 12 years ago today: Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground

My song pick 13 years ago today: Devo - Come Back Jonee

My song pick 14 years ago today: Weather Report - A Remark You Made
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In