5358. Max Roach - Little Folks

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51ZJ6e9uimL._UX716_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg
From: Jazz in 3/4 Time; Year: 1957; Genre: Jazz/Modal Jazz
I had a difficult time picking out which sub-genre of jazz this song in particular belonged; not only is it in a waltz time signature, but also had a meandering rhythm and melody that reminded me a bit if cool/west coast jazz. It's not often that a piece of music like this has me stumped, so knowing it was written and recorded during the period that a lot of genres splintered out of "bop" jazz, that narrowed it down. After going over the many types of jazz that were born out of bebop the only one that seemed to make any sense to me was modal jazz. Now, I could be completely wrong; I'm no expert on jazz, just a huge fan of all the many forms of it. Master musicians spend their lives in scholarly study of the extensive and varied family tree of jazz; even just the subs of bebop.
Anyway, suffice it to say, this song is just one of many instances you can cite as to the masterful genius that was Max Roach and his many esteemed colleagues that he happened to collaborate with. I could go on and on about him and all of his masterpieces, but I'll leave it there.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 3 years ago today: Spiral Starecase - More Today Than Yesterday

My song pick 4 years ago today: Big Brother & the Holding Company - Oh, Sweet Mary

My song pick 5 years ago today: Ebony Rhythm Band - Soul Heart Transplant

My song pick 6 years ago today: Pallas - Cut and Run

My song pick 7 years ago today: Sky - Dies Irae

My song pick 8 years ago today: Buddy Holly - Crying, Waiting, Hoping

My song pick 9 years ago today: Waylander - Erdath

My song pick 10 years ago today: Jim Croce - Workin' at the Car Wash Blues

My song pick 11 years ago today: Blue Öyster Cult - Flaming Telepaths

My song pick 12 years ago today: AC/DC - Carry Me Home

My song pick 13 years ago today: The Eagles - Get Over It

My song pick 14 years ago today: Mily Balakirev - Islamey: an Oriental Fantasy
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In