5364. Coven - One Tin Soldier

From: Coven; Year: 1972; Genre: Rock/Pop/Folk Rock
Kind of interesting how certain songs always seem to keep relevant even after many years; this is definitely one of them. Even though in my lifetime I cannot remember a time without some war going on somewhere in the world, I've always wished that people could live their lives as they see fit in peace, but I doubt that's ever going to happen....
Anyway, I happened to have this rather poignant song come on while I was driving yesterday; I thought I would pick another from Coven, but I was surprised that I had not chosen this one yet. Every now and then Coven's popular cover of One Tin Soldier, (which was originally from the Canadian band The Original Caste), seems to enter the public conscious so to speak, although it seemingly has not in some time. It was part of the soundtrack to the Tom Laughlin film Billy Jack and served as its theme, which was sung by Coven's lead singer Jinx Dawson. The entire band would record the song, which became Coven's biggest hit. Interestingly enough, this is another one of those cases where a band's biggest hit did not represent the sound that the band was known for otherwise. Coven's music was kind of a proto-metal/psychedelic hard rock act that included a lot of occult/Satanic imagery and lyrics in their music in contrast to the pop/folk rock sounds of One Tin Soldier.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 3 years ago today: Yes - Changes

My song pick 4 years ago today: Santana - Evil Ways

My song pick 5 years ago today: Gerry Rafferty - The Tourist

My song pick 6 years ago today: Loudness - Let It Go

My song pick 7 years ago today: Carmen - She Flew Across the Room

My song pick 8 years ago today: California Guitar Trio - Ghost Riders on the Storm

My song pick 9 years ago today: Al Di Meola and Steve Vai - Race with the Devil on Turkish Highway

My song pick 10 years ago today: Nightwish - Beauty of the Beast

My song pick 11 years ago today: L'Arc~en~Ciel - Spirit Dreams Inside

My song pick 12 years ago today: Led Zeppelin - The Battle Of Evermore

My song pick 13 years ago today: Jethro Tull - Black Satin Dancer

My song pick 14 years ago today: Rush - Limelight
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In