5384. The Duprees - You Belong to Me

From: You Belong to Me; Year: 1962; Genre: Doo-Wop
Whilst this song has been around, recorded, and re-recorded over the last, about 70 years since its writing, this is the version I remember the most and the one I think of when the song pops in my mind. It was originally written by Chilton Price, (although Pee Wee King and Redd Stewart added and edited the song, thus got co-writing credits), who was a prolific songwriter in the Post-War era. You Belong to Me began its life so to speak with the working title "Hurry on Home to Me" as a ballad about a lover during The War begging for her sweetheart fighting overseas to come back home. Evidently, Pee Wee King and Redd Stewart thought it needed a more contemporary Post-War feel and message and thus the song was born.
Apparently, the early version recorded by Jo Stafford in 1952 is the most popular version, but I've always like the doo-wop version by The Duprees.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 3 years ago today: Motörhead - Iron Fist

My song pick 4 years ago today: The Allman Brothers Band - Stand Back

My song pick 5 years ago today: Mastodon - High Road

My song pick 6 years ago today: A-Ha - Love is Reason

My song pick 7 years ago today: Bob Seger - Turn the Page

My song pick 8 years ago today: Rage Against the Machine - The Ghost of Tom Joad

My song pick 9 years ago today: Dire Straits - Walk of Life

My song pick 10 years ago today: The Foggy Mountain Boys (Flatt & Scruggs) - Cripple Creek

My song pick 11 years ago today: Queensrÿche - Fear City Slide

My song pick 12 years ago today: Dream Theater - Light Fuse and Get Away

My song pick 13 years ago today: The Doors - Ghost Song

My song pick 14 years ago today: Badfinger - Day After Day
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In